Class of 2008

Monday, November 10, 2008

"What do you do?"


In the process of meeting new people, as we all know, the question that comes only second to your name is “what do you do?” When I respond with, “I’m an interior designer”- I have found some of the following comments to be most common and rather comical. Just keep in mind, I am asked as least two of these questions/ comments in every social situation. This happens quite often. Enjoy…

“Oh, how fun! “
“So, do you like go into people’s houses and tell them what they need?”
“Do you just like do that on your own or do you work for somebody…?”
“Yeah, I thought about doing that… then I decided not to.”
“So do you just go make places more homey?”
“Oh, yeah? My sister-in laws cousin does that. Erh- well, she did- then she got married. She’s really good at scrapbooking. “
“Oh, I wish I could do that but I’m not creative enough. I’m just not good at putting stuff together.”
“Interior designer eh? You don’t find a lot of those around here!”
“So, do you know auto CAD?!”
“Hospitality projects huh? So, do you like design hospitals?”
“You need to come help my house!”
“Oh, I just bought a new sofa!”
“So, what do you think of THIS room?”
“OMG! I love HGTV! Do you ever watch those shows?!”
“OH! Trading Spaces is my FAVORITE!!!”

3 comments:

Amy Daniel said...

I love those comments! I really like the one where they said "I just bought a new sofa". It's like they had nothing else to say, but had to say something.

Amber Horch said...

This is hilarious! Thank you Amy for putting a smile on my face! I have heard probably at least half of these myself. I personally hate the, "so what do you think of this room?" What the crap are you suppose to say to that... really?

Amy said...

Amy: I know-"I just bought a new sofa..." like oh, crap, if I knew you had better taste than me, i would have brought you to the cheap store I bought it from just for self gratification and my insincere approval... ha!
Amber: i'm glad you enjoyed that! I knew you all could realte. ;)